Oklahoma family warns of cell phone explosions – kfor.com
There’s a warning for cell phone users after a family saidÂ their device caught fire and exploded.
Â Thankfully no one was hurt, but now they are telling others about a potentially dangerous situation.
Â The phone was a Samsung Galaxy S-5.
It is believed the battery caused the explosion.
A spokesperson told NewsChannel 4 they are looking into it but believe external damage to the phone might have damaged the battery, causing it to explode.
Â Coy Radcliff, 12, saidÂ he was outside when his dadâs cell phone burst into pieces.
“There was a loud bang, and then the phone shot like five feet up in the air with flames,” Coy said. “It was very scary.â
Â His mother showed up seconds later.
Â “Pieces went all around the yard, like hundreds of feet away,â said Candie Moore-Radcliff.
Â In pictures, you can see the charred battery and a mangled Samsung.
Â Cell phone repairmen saidÂ they have dealt with phones that have exploded before.
Â “It does happen,” said Kevin Conover with Cell Phone Repair. “It’s not very often. It’s pretty rare.”
Â Conover saidÂ phones usually explode because something is wrong with the lithium battery.
Â “Things that can lead to phones exploding would be – number one: water damage, liquid damage,” Conover said.
Â Experts saidÂ improper ventilation, using generic chargers and batteries and over charging your phone can also cause it to catch fire.
Â The exact reason the Radcliffâs phone went up in flames is still unclear.
Â “We hadn’t done anything damaging to the phone,” Candie said. “We just know that it had been getting really hot.”
Â The Radcliffs saidÂ they have learned from this experience and hope others do, too.
Â “I have four children. They play with my phone all the time, and the thought that it could, you know, catch fire in their hands,” Candie said. “Or, I don’t watch it well, and it catches fire in the house and burns down someone’s house.”
Â Candie told us she sent the phone back on October 6th and had trouble getting another one until NewsChannel 4 called Samsung.
Â The company is now sending the family a new phone and sent us the following statement:
Samsung is happy that we were able to help this customer resolve her issues and replace her phone. We advise all customers to follow CTIA guidelines for care of mobile batteries and to call us at 1-800-SAMSUNG, if you encounter any problems with your device.